- Description: All donations will go towards purchasing items for New Hope Food Pantry in Danville, KY as part of the Poverty and Homelessness Week 2020.
- Where: Venmo/CashApp $1 to LandyLin (please indicate that it is for P&H)
Monday, November 9, 2020
- Focus: Local
- Description: This event will focus on the effects of the global pandemic on a local community. Boyle County (the county in which Centre is located in) is projected to see a 37.2% increase in food insecurity from 2018 to the end of 2020. COVID-19 has only exacerbated this rate. This means that an additional 1500 people will experience food insecurity. We will hear from local speakers to understand the scale of this situation for individuals in Boyle County, as well as Kentucky as a whole.
- When: Monday, November 9, 2020, 7:00pm to 8:00pm EST
- Where: Zoom (https://centre.zoom.us/j/97520800085)
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- Focus: National
- Topics: Food Insecurity, Geography/Race & Healthcare Access
- What: Poverty and Homelessness Week Celebration
- Convocation Speaker: Christina Martinez
- Convocation Title: COVID-19 and Food Insecurity
- When: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 7:30pm – 8:30pm EST
- Where: Zoom Meeting (Register here: https://centre.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAucOyrqT8qHdbJOaedvF6BoJywZpQgg4Sv)
This convocation forms an essential part of Centre’s annual Poverty and Homelessness Week and focuses on COVID-19 and Food Insecurity in the US. This year’s Poverty and Homelessness Week continues that emphasis with a week-long series of events highlighting food insecurity in the US in the age of a global pandemic. Christina Martinez, Director, Network Relations & NAC Liaison at Feeding America will present us with a national perspective on how the pandemic has affected reliable access to sufficient food nationwide. Martinez will examine sub-topics such as the increase in food insecurity, the high demand on food pantries, their effects on the food distribution system, and what these occurrences reveal about the U.S. economic system and how precarious it is for working people. At the end of Martinez’ speech, the audience will have 15 minutes to ask questions related to the topic at hand.
Wednesday, November 11, 2020
- Focus: Global
- Description: This event will examine the pandemic’s impact from a wider lens. Come join us to learn about how various regions and countries of the world have been affected (Latin America, West Africa, Yemen, Italy and the Balkans, and Australia). Each region has responded differently to the pandemic due to unique social determinants of health, along with history.
- When: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 7:00pm to 8:00pm EST
- Where: Zoom (https://centre.zoom.us/j/91376094986)